Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October is....

As most of us are aware October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a serious issue that deserves our full support and awareness. And at the end of the month we celebrate the eerie, spooky and sweet with Halloween.

But did you know October is also Eat Country Ham Month, National Pizza Month, National Popcorn Popping Month, National Apple Month, National Pretzel Month, National Pickled Pepper Month, National Pork, Seafood, Pasta, Sausage, Carmel and Cookie Month. It is also World Chocolate Awareness Month, which I am not sure what that means. Am I to be aware of Chocolate, in the world? But more importantly, do I eat chocolate from around the world?

Ironically, October is also Hunger Awareness Month.

And let your teenagers know, October is also National Sarcastic Month.
Only one month, not all year like my teenagers assume.

For the writers, I found October is American Magazine Month and the third week of October is Teen Read week.

October has a few special days for writers too.

October 15th is National Poetry Day.
October 16th is National Dictionary Day, Noah Webster’s Birthday, and School Librarian Day.
October 18th is Oprah’s Book Club Anniversary started in 1996.
October 29th is International Internet Day.

So go ahead celebrate October in a myriad of ways, meanwhile I’ll be waiting for October 24th to celebrate National Crazy Day.

Feel free to comment on how you might be celebrating in October.

11 comments:

  1. I like the National Chocolate myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I celebrate the cooler weather. And I miss the Autumns up North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clara, an excuse to eat chocolate. I am so there.

    Alice, I too miss the fall colors and I love that I can now open up the windows to fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Suzanne!

    Speaking of Halloween, I'm giving away two free ebooks at the moment. You can see details at www.MayraCalvani.com

    Have a great day!

    Warm regards,
    Mayra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, you missed October 11th as National Coming Out Day. My school passed out little rainbow hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog. Thanks for visiting mine! It's always amazing to me how many random national days we have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is very important I partake of the Chocolate Awareness. Yes, very important!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mayra, I'm heading over to check out your ebooks.

    McKenzie, that is so cool.

    Julie, I agree, seems we could be celebrating something everyday. How fun.

    Sidney, I agree, Chocolate Awareness should be everyday, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. National Crazy Day, Chocolate Awareness Day.... super things to look forward to! great blog. I'm glad I found you on the blog hop. thanks for finding mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kind of a busy month, I'd say! Thanks for stopping in at Kai Strand's blog to leave a comment on my interview there. Really appreciated that.

    Just joined your blog and wanted to say hi.

    ReplyDelete